I may be a little late to the stuffed jalapeno pepper game, but this version more than makes up for it, I promise.
When I realized the blog was long over due on some appetizer recipes Matthew suggested bacon wrapped jalapenos I was stunned…why haven’t I thought of that? Best.. idea.. ever!
Bacon, cheese and more cheese, is all the convincing I needed to head to the kitchen to test out a few, small batches of stuffed jalapenos with various fillings. Because obviously I don’t know the meaning of a heatwave. While all the combinations were quite good this version with three cheeses, fresh chives and garlic was a clear winner!
These stuffed peppers are sure to be a hit at your next gathering or game day feast!
Roasted jalapenos with just the right amount of heat, a creamy cheese blend with hints of garlic and chive all wrapped up in a crisp slice of smokey bacon.
Here are some tips when making these stuffed peppers:
- Always use caution when handling hot peppers. Avoid touching your face or rubbing your eyes. Wear food safe gloves and wash your hands thoroughly after handling.
- I used the smaller end of a mellon baller to gently scoop out the seeds and membranes from the sliced jalapeno halves. A lot of the heat comes from the seeds and membrane of the pepper so if you would prefer them to be a bit more on the spicy side you can leave a few seeds intact.
- I left the stems intact when slicing these lengthwise because I thought they looked fun that way. Just make sure not to eat the stems when your devouring these snacks.
- I used a thinly sliced smoked bacon for these poppers
Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Jalapeno
Yield : 14 servings
- 7 jalapeño peppers*
- 4 ounces of cream cheese, softened
- 1 ounce of sharp cheddar, grated
- 1 ounce of pepper jack cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon chives, finely chopped plus more for garnishing
- 1/4 teaspoon of finely minced garlic
- fresh black pepper to taste
- 7 slices of uncooked bacon, cut in half
* Notes: Always use caution when handling hot peppers. Avoid touching your face or rubbing your eyes. Wear food safe gloves and wash your hands thoroughly after handling.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and place an oven safe wire rack on a rimmed baking sheet.
Cut the jalapenos in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and membranes.* Set aside.
In a medium bowl mix together the cream cheese, grated cheeses, garlic, chives, and black pepper until combined.
Stuff each jalapeno half with some of the cheese mixture. Wrap each stuffed jalapeno with half a slice of bacon. I placed a piece of bacon over the center of each stuffed jalapeno simply overlapping the ends of the bacon under the pepper. Gently place the peppers onto your prepared pan.
Bake for 25-30 minutes rotating halfway through and until the bacon is fully cooked and lightly browned and is crisp. I keep an eye on the poppers after the 20 minute mark to make sure they don’t burn.
Cool slightly and Enjoy!