Zucchini bread makes for a great coffee time treat. It can be a little daunting to add a vegetable to your dessert, but this bread will help you over your reservations.
In this spice bread recipe that I found on smittenkitchen.com, the zucchini adds texture and moisture. The walnuts add some crunch. The chocolate chips bring some sweetness to the mix. Spreading a little butter over the top while its still warm is a delicious addition as well.
Ingredients: (yields 2 loaves)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cup of sugar
- 2 cups of zucchini, grated
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 3 cups of all purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup of walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
I divided the batter between the two bread pans.
I baked the bread on the middle rack for 1 hour rotating halfway through. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.